Best Vacuum For Pet Hair Reviews
Having pets is incredibly rewarding in many ways.
One of the real downsides, though, is having to deal with the hair that seems to get everywhere however much you clean up.
Animals too tend to be responsible for other random spills as well. It makes sense to get yourself the best vacuum for pet hair and do the best you can to keep things spick and span.
With these vacuum for pet hair reviews along with a handing buying guide, you can take the sting out of your research.
Everyone has different cleaning needs and when you also have pet hair to factor into the equation, it can be tough to find one great vacuum that will cope with a wide range of cleaning applications.
Any of the 5 vacuums we review would be ideal if you have pets at home.
First, thing’s first though…
Why should you use a vacuum for pet hair in the first place?
- 1 Why Use A Vacuum For Pet Hair?
- 2 How Is A Vacuum For Pet Hair Different?
- 3 What To Look For To Get The Best Vacuum For Pet Hair
- 4 5 Vacuum For Pet Hair Reviews
- 4.1 1) Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal Plus Allergy
- 4.2 Pros
- 4.3 Cons
- 4.4 2) Miele Dynamic U1
- 4.5 Pros
- 4.6 Cons
- 4.7 3) Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away (NV501)
- 4.8 Pros
- 4.9 Cons
- 4.10 4) Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional with Dust-Away & 2 Microfiber Pads (NV356E)
- 4.11 Pros
- 4.12 Cons
- 4.13 5) Shark Rocket True Pet Handstick
- 4.14 Pros
- 4.15 Cons
- 5 Wrap-Up
Why Use A Vacuum For Pet Hair?
If you don’t frequently vacuum stray animal hair, it will very easily get tracked all around the house and spreading the mess.
As well as the hair, pet dander is also something worth taking into account, especially if you have any family members who suffer from allergies. These tiny specks of dead skin combined with hair can be kept fully in check with a pet hair vacuum.
If you have hard flooring, cat and dog hair can pile up like little tumbleweeds and looks quite unsightly. On carpeted floor, the hair might not be instantly visible, it’s still there and needs dealing with.
For reasons of hygiene and aesthetics, keeping pet hair at bay is crucial. To do this, you’ll need the best vacuum for pet hair.
Luckily, there are models to suit all tastes and budgets.
How Is A Vacuum For Pet Hair Different?
Standard vacuums have a two-part hose and brush system. The brush will agitate the dirt before the hose sucks it up. This works well for the usual household debris.
If used on dog hair, though, the hair can either be driven deeper into the carpet or it can tangle around the brush head.
The best vacuum for pet hair will have silicon brushes rather than soft-hair brushes. Along with specialized design and attachments, the pet hair should be sucked up into the dirt cup or bag rather than tangled up around the brush or beater bar.
Also, the suction is generally better on dedicated pet hair vacuums and the filtration is enhanced in order to blast away hair and dander.
What To Look For To Get The Best Vacuum For Pet Hair
While removing pet hair might be high on your list of priorities, it certainly won’t be the only reason for buying your vacuum.
Think about what type of floors you have in your home…
Some vacuums will grab all the hair or crumbs from your carpet while offering lame performance on wooden floors.
Make sure you get the right vacuum for your personal needs.
Size of The Space You Need To Clean
You need to make sure you get a vacuum that’s man enough for a big space if you have a sprawling home. A cleaner with a large dirt capacity will slash your cleaning time. You should also have to empty the bag or dirt cup less frequently. Uprights work best for cleaning large areas.
For those in smaller apartments, storage space is something to think about. There’s also no need to buy something bulky that will be awkward to maneuver. Canisters and handhelds make smart choices if you live in an apartment.
What Type of Vacuum Do You Want?
With an upright vacuum, you can get more space clean in less time. In large homes this is an obvious benefit.
Uprights are generally the most powerful vacuums. This is worth bearing in mind if shifting pet hair is your prime goal.
If you have a bad back, an upright is the best option. You won’t need to stoop down or hunch your shoulders and you can maintain great posture as you zap away any pet hair.
A small light canister is ideal for maneuverability. Cleaning staircases, curtains and any other awkward spots is a breeze with one of these vacuums.
Many canisters boast a reasonable capacity so if you are looking for a compromise between the raw power of an upright and the sheer convenience of a handheld, a canister is worth considering.
For anyone with limited space, a handheld vacuum should not be overlooked.
The portability and ability to clean curtains or any other places where dog hair can find its way make handhelds a versatile weapon against hair and dander from your beloved pets.
Vacuums come with an array of attachments. It pays to become familiar with these and to focus on those that would make your life simpler.
- Crevice Tool: Suck up hair from tight spots
- Dusting Tool: Deal with book shelves, blinds and window sills
- Brush Roll/Beater Bar: Helps with deep cleaning
- Extension Tool: Get extra reach with a telescopic wand
- Upholstery Tool: Clean your furniture with ease
- Hardwood Floor Brush Tool: Great for wooden floors
- Power Brush: A boost of power for your canister
Corded or Cordless?
Corded vacuums have better suction but you will be limited to cleaning within reach of a power point.
If you want portability and convenience, a cordless could be just what you’re looking for. Think about how long you will get on one charge. Is this long enough for your cleaning duties? Also take into account how long the battery takes to charge.
The decision here is purely down to personal preference.
Bagged or Bagless?
Bagless vacuums have grown in popularity since they are straightforward to empty and save you from the ongoing expense of buying replacement bags. You can also see through the transparent design and see how much dirt is building up.
Bagged vacuums and the way they contain the dust securely mean they make a wise choice for anyone with allergies.
Again, think about what works best for you when thinking about the best vacuum for pet hair.
Now you have a good overview, we’ll look at 5 great vacuum for pet hair reviews so you can find a model best suited to your needs.
5 Vacuum For Pet Hair Reviews
Upright with removable canister
Upright with removable canister
Stick that converts to handheld
You can take a look here:
First up is a corded upright from Dyson, a consistent innovator in the field of vacuum cleaners.
With the cutting-edge Cinetic Science system, you won’t be plagued by a loss in suction. The smaller cyclones catch microscopic dust particles but reduced cyclones can mean clogged filters. With the Dyson, oscillating tips push this dust straight through to the bin instead.
Whether you have carpets or hard floors, the Dyson will cope perfectly. The self-adjusting cleaner head means that whatever the surface you can kiss goodbye to animal hair and dander.
You’ll get plenty of extra features from a wand that releases so you can clean up above to a reach-under tool for lower cleaning. The turbine tool comes into its own for removing pet hair.
HEPA filtration is ideal for anyone with asthma or any other allergies.
For a powerful vacuum capable of blasting away even the most stubborn pet hair, look no further than the Dyson Cinetic.
- Cinetic Science means no dust blocks the airflow and there is no loss of suction
- No need to replace or clean filters
- HEPA filtration great for allergy sufferers
- Big Ball makes vacuum roll along with ease
- Turbine tool perfect for removing pet hair from carpets or upholstery
- Clean up high easily with instant release wand
- Reach-under-tool to clean in tough spots
- Push button to release dirt from bin hygienically
- Self adjusting cleaner head so great for carpets or hard floors
- Very expensive as with all Dyson vacuums
You can take a look here:
Another high-end vacuum next and a strong contender for best vacuum for pet hair is the Miele Dynamic U1.
This is another very capable upright from a highly reputable manufacturer.
Although it’s a large upright, thanks to Miele’s SwivelNeck technology, you can push your vacuum around with the flick of a wrist.
This intelligent vacuum will adjust itself so that you can transition from cleaning carpets to hard floors without a hitch.
The Active AirClean filter is one reason the Miele is the best vacuum for pet hair. It not only helps you get rid of the debris but neutralize any unwanted pet odor into the bargain.
You’ll enjoy plenty of accessories with the Miele Dynamic that make cleaning hard-to-reach places a walk in the park. With the LED light, working in gloomy areas is no problem.
If you have the budget and want to invest in an effective, durable vacuum that will help you to clean up after your pets, the Miele should go on your shortlist.
- SwivelNeck technology makes maneuvering your vacuum a breeze
- Spring-loaded roller brush deals with stubborn pet hair easily
- Electrobrush adjusts automatically for carpet or hard floors
- LED headlight handy for cleaning dark areas
- Height will adjust automatically for your convenience
- AirClean filter with activated charcoal to absorb and neutralize pet odors
- Great accessories: upholstery tool, crevice nozzle, dusting brush, mini turbo brush
- Variable speed motor with rotary dial kicks out more than enough power
- Not cheap but great value for money
You can take a look here:
This formidable upright from Shark is a strong contender for the best vacuum for pet hair.
The heavyweight of the Shark line-up at 15.5 pounds, the Rotator NV501 is an upright with a twist. You will also get a removable canister for total cleaning flexibility. You can also harness Above Floor Mode so the Rotator deals with all your cleaning needs.
The Premium Pet Power Brush will eliminate even the most stubborn pet hair and dander. Combined with the HEPA filters and Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology, you can keep your home spotless and minimize any irritation.
Although it’s bulky, the Rotator is a cinch to move around thanks to its swivel steering.
If you are looking for a top-notch vacuum that will deal with the mess left behind by your pets, the Rotator is a strong option.
- 1200 watt motor makes this a powerful upright
- Never Loses Suction and cyclonic technology removes most dirt and debris before it hits the filters
- Impressive 0.78 gallon dust capacity
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology combined with HEPA filter makes this vacuum perfect for allergy sufferers
- Easy to maneuver with swivel steering
- LED headlights help you clean gloomy areas
- Detachable canister for total versatility
- Heavy unit at 15.5 pounds
You can take a look here:
Another superb model from Shark as we near the end of our vacuum for pet hair reviews.
At 13.7 pounds, the Navigator is lighter than the Rotator but still extremely powerful with the same 1200-watt motor.
Check out our article which compares the differences between the Shark Rotator and Navigator. In most ways they are the same but we point out the small ways in which they vary.
- Lightweight and maneuverable for an upright
- Never Loses Suction for your convenience
- Strong choice for anyone with allergies
- Transform from an upright to a canister at the press of a button
- Long 30-foot cord gives you more freedom
- Nice bundle of attachments including Pet Hair Power Brush and microfiber pads
- Works well on carpet and hard floor
- Prone to tipping over
- Hose to wand slightly too short
You can take a look here:
A third model from Shark now to complete our look at the best vacuums for pet hair.
Everyone has slightly different cleaning needs and with the Rocket, you get all the convenience of a stick vacuum while still enjoying enough power to shift lingering pet hair with a 500-watt motor.
By flicking a switch, you can choose between carpet and hard floor mode giving you complete flexibility with your cleaning.
Although you don’t get a HEPA filter with the Rocket True Pet, you do get washable foam filters and the Never Loses Suction technology makes for efficient vacuuming.
If you have a smaller home or need a lighter vacuum than most uprights, take a good look at this great Shark stick. Bid farewell to the pet hair that can make your home look grimy.
- Ultra-lightweight at less than 8 pounds so easy to maneuver
- Great for carpets and wood floors
- Converts to a handheld so clean anywhere you want with ease
- LED lights mean you can clean dark spots without straining your eyes
- True Pet motorized brush helps shift pet hair and dander
- Never Loses Suction technology
- Washable foam filters
- Small dirt cup capacity
- No HEPA filtration
- Can make a whining noise
We hope you found our vacuum for pet hair reviews useful and informative.
Cats and dogs make wonderful companions but the hair they leave behind each day needs zapping away to keep things fresh in your home.
Taking your time to research so you get the best vacuum for removing pet hair is well worthwhile.
Feel free to get in touch if you have any queries or feedback at all. We’re always delighted to hear from our readers and happy to help in any way we can.